You can minimise the pain, and sometimes prevent further damage, with a few simple first aid steps. If you have:
- Swelling – Use a cold compress on the affected area.
- Pain – Take an over-the-counter pain reliever, according to package directions. Don’t take too much, or place the pill against your tooth or gums. Clove oil can be applied topically for some relief.
- Lost restorations – Denture adhesive or sugar-free gum can temporarily hold a crown or bridge in place.
- Knocked out tooth – Rinse your mouth and the tooth very gently, being careful not to damage any tissue still attached to the root. Place your tooth back in the socket, or in a container of milk, and bring it to the office with you as soon as possible.
- Bleeding – Apply gentle pressure to the wound using a bit of sterile gauze. If the bleeding is severe, visit the hospital EMERGENCY.